There are places in the U.S. where air conditioning is not necessarily a priority. Most of those places have relatively short summers, and many experience what you might call a “dry heat.” As you’re well aware, that is not the case in South Louisiana! Our summer often comes early, stays late, and the humidity can mildew a couch in an un-air-conditioned house in no time flat. That’s why it’s important to maintain your cooling system to avoid catastrophic problems.
It’s recommended that you have a contractor do annual pre-season check-ups before they enter their busy season. According to Energy Star, a typical maintenance check-up should include:
- Check thermostat settings to ensure the cooling and heating system keeps you comfortable when you are home and saves energy while you are away.
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors.
- Lubricate all moving parts.
- Check and inspect the condensate drain in your central air conditioner, furnace and/or heat pump (when in cooling mode).
- Check controls of the system to ensure proper and safe operation..
But, if the unthinkable happens, and your a/c goes out during our still-toasty late summer/early fall, here are some local repair companies to call with an S.O.S.
A/C Solutions LLC (Covington, Mandeville)
(985) 327-3031; www.youracsolutions.com
Berner Air Conditioning & Heating (Mandeville)
(985) 727-2302; bernerair.com
Three Rivers Services LLC (Covington)
(985) 892-7071; threeriversairandheat.com